Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Search Deeper

I have still been looking for useful sources of information for the second paper. The library databases are what I have been primarily using for articles regarding information of private space companies. Two days ago, SpaceX, who is pretty much the leader in private space, sent a cargo capsule to the International Space Station successfully. Due to this recent breakthrough, there have been a lot of articles talking about it. They talk about what it means to the private space industry now and how it could pave the way for the future. I am still short of sources for the second paper so I need to step up my research game. Like I mentioned in the previous blog post or discussion post (I can't remember which one), finding articles that have different views on the subject is difficult. I actually found a website that is in the form of a debate, naturally it is called www.debate.org, that seems really helpful and interesting. I do not think it can really be used as a credible source as it is just different users debating their views with each other. However, this is one of the first sources I have found that really discuss the disadvantages of private sector investment in human space flight and exploration. The debater against the idea uses the argument that private space companies will ultimately only do what it takes to make a profit whereas government regulated space travel has an interest in gaining knowledge for the good of the people. Also, the debater argues that private space companies will struggle with diplomatic matters when international space flight is an issue. Overall, I find this website helpful for me to gain a better understanding. Now, I might try to search for different things specifically about the private space industry that I learn from this online debate.

No comments:

Post a Comment