Tuesday, February 26, 2013

The Search for Research

In the past week, I have been looking for potential sources to support my paper regarding the current status, as well the role that private space companies should play in space exploration. I have found many articles on the internet which have information on what companies are doing, as well as the need for private space companies instead of government- based space exploration alone. I, honestly, used the library website for useful articles for the first time today. They seemed to have a good amount of articles when I searched the BOSS system for "private space companies." The only downfall I noticed was that some of the sources were pretty old like pre-2000. I feel like that for my topic, outdated articles are not as credible. I am, after all, going to be writing about the current status of private space companies. Another downfall I noticed when going through articles was that many of the articles truly were saying the same thing. They would just discuss the recent advancements of a particular private space company and how they expect this to be the first step in a surge for space exploration. I want to find an article where the author asserts something new, something more opinionated. A lot of the articles just point out actual facts. I have not looked for any articles that the author is against the idea of private space companies, but I plan to do that next. I'm not necessarily glad we have to do these source annotations as an assignment, but I am sort of okay with it because I think this will help tremendously with writing the paper. Having the sources already present with the main idea of the source at hand will save a lot of time, as well as help with organization.

2 comments:

  1. Finding recent or up-to-date articles is definitely the most difficult part, and that goes for all fields of study. Sifting through all those old articles and separating from the most recent is tedious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your pain as well. It's tough to find articles that contain the latest and greatest information. They do exist, though!

    ReplyDelete