Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Research at OSU

I have learned that there is a vast amount of research being conducted in the engineering department at OSU. A good portion of this is being conducted by faculty in the mechanical and aerospace engineering discipline. There are numerous research facilities here on campus devoted for engineers such as the Advanced Controls Laboratory, the Advanced Manufacturing Processes Laboratory, the Computational AeroServo Elasticity Laboratory, the Hydrodynamics and Aerodynamics Laboratory, and the Mechanics of Advanced Materials Laboratory. One of my current professors, Dr. Jacob is onee of the main faculty members involved in aerospace research. He is currently doing research in Plasma Based Flow Control, Deployable Wing Development and Testing, HALE UAV's, Nano and Micro Aerial Vehicle Aerodynamics and Systems, and Flapping Wing Aerodynamics. All these current projects are done in the Hydrodynamics and Aerodynamics Laboratory mentioned earlier.

So, I just recently started assisting my advisor Dr. Hatami- Marbini, a faculty member in mechanical engineering, with his research. I am still in the preliminary stage learning the background information, but it will start to pick up here pretty soon. He is doing a variety of different research projects such as dealing with multiscale modeling, mechanics of biological materials, nano- and micro- mechanics of composites, and cell mechanics. The research I will be assisting with will involve the development of composite materials and how they perform under stress. So pretty much, mesh two or more materials together and see what combination gives the optimum material performance/ properties. This is all I really know up to this point as I just started. Overall, I believe getting this research experience will help me in my future endeavors to attend graduate school.

No comments:

Post a Comment