Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Experience with Reddit

Reddit is an online community where articles are posted where users can vote on. This is my first time to ever use the website; it actually is the first time I have ever heard of the website. It did not take me long at all to get used to as it pretty easy to use. I used the search tool and found a "reddit" dedicated to space. The link for this is http://www.reddit.com/r/space/search?q=SPACE&sort=relevance&restrict_sr=on&t=all. There are a lot of posts relating to space travel and future exploration on this website. One of the posts that caught my eye said "How to keep the NASA space program afloat: 1: Create a TV show called "America's Top Astronaut". 2: Have people compete during astronaut training exercises. 3: Use the money from endorsements to fund the next manned shuttle into space." The link is http://www.reddit.com/r/space/comments/hxzea/how_to_keep_the_nasa_space_program_afloat_1/. At first, I thought this was like a joke, but then after reading many of the comments, I realize this may be the effort needed to for Americans to support space travel. This would definitely help fund the space program. Television networks would also see benefits. Comments started going off topic, but were still interesting to me as they were all regarding the current status of the space program and their opinions about it. The best part about reading all these comments, for me, was that there was no one general answer. Instead, everybody voiced their opinion, and both sides of the argument were heard. I feel like to truly understand a subject, no matter how you feel about it, you need to hear bout sides of the issue. Overall, I found this website very interesting and will definitely visit it again for this subject, as well as many of my other interests.

2 comments:

  1. When I first read the idea to use television to promote NASA I thought you were joking as well; however, when I thought about it, I realized that was an excellent idea. I support NASA and their desire for space exploration. TV is probably the only way to get Americans amped for space exploration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm all for anything that supports the funding of NASA. Great article to read, hopefully the government takes heed and listens to what the people want and the advantages of space exploration.

    ReplyDelete