Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Library Help

So, obviously, doing a research paper entails doing research on a given subject. Due to our papers being related to our majors, my research will probably entail something to do with Aerospace Engineering. Maybe I should try and get away from my usual style of research which is hours and hours of "Googling." I find myself in the library a considerable amount of time during the semester (usually studying or printing off something), but I have never actually looked for a book or searched for articles. When I visited the library homepage, I noticed there was a page solely dedicated to Mechanical/ Aerospace Engineering. The link to the page is http://info.library.okstate.edu/content.php?pid=356949&sid=2919276. So, I figured everything I need for this research paper will be on that page and I would not have to do much searching. However, once the page was finished loading and I had a chance to view it, I was slightly disappointed. I felt like it was lacking content. Also, I noticed the page I was redirected to when clicking the link for Mechanical/ Aerospace Engineering was a page that covered all disciplines of engineering and not just my major alone. There are a few links on the homepage that were interesting, and I bet that there are a lot of books available covering my discipline once I thouroughly search the database. I can always ask Mr. Kevin Drees for help when I need to find material as he serves as the Subject Guide for the library. I had no idea that such a position existed, and now that I do, I'll definitely try to take advantage of it. There are four websites listed on the subject homepage. One of the sites does not work; however, one of them named "A Sightseer's Guide to Engineering" is quite interesting as it lists innovation based on engineering discipline. Even though there are a couple interesting sites on this library page, I, myself, find more interesting information from Google.

1 comment:

  1. It may be hard to find some websites but maybe the contact for that webpage, Kevin Drees could help you out. Best of luck

    ReplyDelete