Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Essay 3: Reflecting on my Research







The Importance of Research in an Effective Paper
Saagar Patel
Oklahoma State University













The research process is a long, crucial step in producing an effective, informative paper. Being in the engineering field, I have been accustomed to doing research in the past; however, this time it seemed different. I had much more difficulty. I learned that the research question one may initially choose to write about may not be the right one for the paper. It almost seemed like reading the sources found from research dictated the topic of the paper rather than the topic question dictating the research. Without a firm knowledge in the subject beforehand, one does not know what to expect from the sources and this is what makes the research process so important and powerful. The topic I researched for my paper was the current status of private space companies as well as the role that the private space industry should play in American space exploration. Doing the research on this topic was not easy. There were definitely times I had a great amount of difficulty such as choosing the correct topic, finding recent articles, and using more credible search techniques. The research process broadened my knowledge greatly and I will write the paper with much more confidence now.
Coming up with my research topic was not as easy as I thought it would have been. Honestly, at first, I wanted to choose the same topic I did for the first paper which was whether spending money and resources was a waste or not, but I did not know if I could do that so I started searching for new topics. I considered choosing a topic potentially dealing with airplanes for that is a major aspect of my major, but my interest truly is in the space field so I did not think that I would get as passionate about the paper, probably resulting in a poorer paper. So, I started “Googling” vague word choices such as "space exploration topics" and was having a really hard time finding a topic that I truly thought I could write a lot about. I, then, searched "space" on Reddit and saw the topics with the comments and discussions dealt with private space industry. I felt that a subject where many people are discussing and arguing is one of controversy and importance and potentially a topic with a great amount of available information. Private space industry interests me a lot, for it is probably where I want to work in the future. So, now I knew I was going to write about the private space industry, but still did not know what exactly to write about pertaining to this. After reading comments from earlier blog posts and discussion posts, I came to the conclusion of writing about how private space companies and NASA can work together. I wanted to write about what overall role the private space industry would have on space exploration. Will they partner with NASA? Will they do the small jobs for NASA? Will they do their own thing? It truly took a good amount of researching to develop this topic. .
With a subject pertaining to space exploration, updated and recent information is a must. This was an issue I came across during the research process. I would think that I have found a very useful source typically dated from 2008, but then I would find a source from a few years later that would make the previous source meaningless. Space exploration is truly still viewed as futuristic venture even though it is occurring today. Due to this, an educated reader would view any paper with information coming from outdated sources as not credible. I had to find the most recent status and information of private space companies. Most of the current information on private space companies could be found on their company website. I, eventually, decided that a little bit older sources could be used if they were trying to relay an idea about private space exploration, but the most recent sources needed to be used for information on the current statuses and goals of private space companies.
Until now, my methodology of research has been limited to searching for the topic on global search engines such as Google. This is how I began my research process for the current paper, as well. I found a great amount of information, but the credibility of these sources could not be confirmed. After about half of the way through the research process, I started using the Oklahoma State Library databases found on their website. At first, I had difficulty finding anything useful from the library databases. After changing the words and word ordering in the search field, I noticed different results. The slightest change in wording would result in a greatly different list of results. . Proquest was the database that most of my sources came from, but I also found a few on the LexisNexis Academic database. I think readers will find the paper more credible when the majority of the sources come from university databases rather than Google or Wikipedia. Credibility of the sources is one of the most important factors that goes into a strong research paper.
Overall, the research process for a paper truly determines the strength of the paper. If the research is done in a diligent and proper manner, the overall paper will reflect this. After going through this process, I have come to the conclusion that the research process is more influential to the overall paper than the writing. To write something useful requires useful information, which ultimately comes down to having conducted useful research. My appreciation for the research process has definitely gone up. I have found many useful and reliable sources, as well as broadened my own knowledge on the subject. I, originally, thought I could write a paper on this topic before doing any research, but now that I have done the research, I realize that my paper would have been very poor compared to what it will be now due to my gained understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment